Sunday, June 15, 2008

More Class?? :(

So, I had a great 8-9 days of vacation and I really am not looking forward to starting my last class tomorrow. Hamburg was amazing. It was a very beautiful town and catching up with Sven was a lot of fun also. I stayed at his family's house and his parents were extremely hospitable and accommodating the whole time. I spent Friday and Saturday doing a lot of sightseeing and then on Sunday we went and saw Germany's opening match of the European Championships (Europameisterschaft). It was incredible because we saw it at a giant public viewing with over 40,000 people. Germany won 2-0 so the crowd was going crazy the whole time. After the game there was almost rioting in the street. It seemed as though Germany had just won the World Series of the Super Bowl or something. The main party street in Hamburg called the Reeperbahn was full of people and in one spot there were probably 500 people together celebrating and blocking the whole road. Basically, traffic could not go down the street after the game.





After getting back from Hamburg on Monday afternoon, I had to get ready to take off the next morning to Berlin. Our bus left at 7am, so that didn't leave too much time for sleeping the night before because I had to do laundry and pack and everything. As soon as I got on the bus I just put in my Ipod and tried to fall asleep. I was successful for about the first hour or two and that was it. About 4 hours in the trip the bus broke down and we were stuck at a rest area for two hours until a repair guy came. It was unfortunate because it caused us to miss the first couple items on our agenda in Berlin and also made it nearly a 10 hour bus trip. But once we got to Berlin we really had a great time. It was nice having a vacation where the day was all planned out and we had a bus to take us from spot-to-spot. Mostly, I like being able to set my own schedule and kind of wander and see where I wind up when I travel but on occasion it is nice to just enjoy the ride. We saw a lot of very cool sites including parts of the old Berlin Wall, the German Parliament, the Holocaust Memorial, and more.



We also watched the next Germany game at a smaller public viewing there (maybe only 1200 people), but that game wasn't as fun considering Germany played horribly and lost 2-1. Here is a picture of the excellent outfit I had on for the game:



We got back on Friday night and I think I slept about 11-12 hours that night and then lounged around Saturday and slept probably another 12 hours last night. I should be nice and rested now for 9 hours of Accounting & Finance tomorrow :(

Anyways, it's almost Midnight here so I should probably get to bed since class starts at 9am. Take care and have a Happy Father's Day.

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland!
Josh

4 comments:

Trista said...

Is that Sting?

Trista said...

And who is Sven? Was he an exchange student at Philomath?

Josh Brooks said...

hahaha, no that is not sting. Just some German guy who was MC-ing the event during breaks. Yeah, Sven was an exchange student during my Junior year of High school.

Trista said...

Oh, sorry...I just saw that you had responded to my comments. Well, as I recall, he definitely is Sting-like. Well, I'm glad you had a good time hanging out with your friend and his family. When I go to Germany, I'm planning to stay with my friend Jana. She was an exchange student when I was in high school.